Secure your website with a free SSL certificate
All of our Web hosting Plans include Free SSL Certificates for every website hosted
THE IMPORTANCE OF ‘HTTPS’
Why you need an SSL Certificate
Having an SSL certificate - giving your website URLs beginning with ‘https’ - is no longer a luxury. It’s a necessity.
If you run a site where a user has to enter any information - such as contact forms, search bars, login panels, online stores etc. - not having an SSL certificate could harm your business. Users are less likely to trust a non-’https’ website. Google has been encouraging web designers to implement ‘https everywhere’ since 2014, and sites without SSLs are now being marked with security warnings.
How SSLs Work
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificates are used to encrypt the information travelling to and from the hosting server. This is instead of sending that data by plain text - which could be intercepted. It can be used for websites and email systems.
A very simple explanation of how SSL works would be:
- A browser tries to connect to a website
- The browser first contacts a DNS server to find where the site is hosted, then contacts that web server
- If the the website is secured by SSL, the web server sends a copy of the website’s SSL certificate to the browser
- The browser checks to see whether the certificate is genuine with the issuer of the certificate. It needs to be a trusted certificate authority, such as Geotrust
- If it checks out OK, the browser sends a message to the web server and exchanges the necessary encryption information: a key and hashing cypher - basically a code!
- Encrypted data is shared between the browser and the web server
How do I activate my free SSL?
Every CMS Wales hosting package comes with a free SSL certificate, enabling you to use the recommended 'HTTPS' protocol to keep your site users secure. To activate the SSL, you’ll need to make sure you’ve pointed the domain name to our nameservers.
With that done, you need to:
- Login to your CP (Control Panel) at https://www.stackcp.com
- Under Security, click on the SSL/TLS icon
- You will then see your domain name and an option to Activate Free SSL next to it - select this and the SSL will be applied to your domain
- If you’d like all your visitors to use SSL connections (i.e. for HTTPS to always be used - recommended), simply select the Enable option at the bottom of the page.
Once the SSL Certificate has been activated, it will take up to 30 minutes to secure your website. This is due to the changes needed to be made on our load balancers.
Move to CMS Wales today!
FREE SSL CERTIFICATES ARE INCLUDED WITH ALL WEB HOSTING PLANS
Choice of Three Web Hosting Platforms:
Our high-powered Linux platform is ideal for all types of websites. Built for speed and security by industry experts, we’ve fine-tuned Apache for even better performance. Our Linux platform is also home to over 70+ one-click installs of popular software including WordPress, Joomla! & Magento.
Our robust Windows platform is backed by a performance-tuned IIS cluster and has been carefully designed to ensure no single point of failure. Our optimised Windows platform is fast, robust and secure. It's the perfect choice for websites reliant on ASP, ASP.NET, MS Access, or MS SQL.
We’ve crafted an innovative platform that caters to WordPress’s every need. Automatic core WordPress updates, built-in plugin monitoring, and our own exclusive StackCache speed plugin are brought together in one innovative solution to ensure your WordPress website always performs at its best.
All of our hosting Storage is 100% SSD.
100% Uptime Guaranteee on all Hosting Plans